The Chinese University of Hong Kong  
Home About Fees Announcements Events Downloads Links Contact

The Postgraduate Halls (PGH) consist of six buildings, Jockey Club Postgraduate Hall (PGH 1), Chiang's Building (PGH 2), Inter-University Hall (IUH) - PGH 3 and PGH 4 to 6, offering about 1,100 hostel spaces. Postgraduate students taking full-time Research programmes or full-time UGC-funded Taught programmes are eligible to apply for residence at the Postgraduate Halls.

Eligibility for Application

In view of the current shortage of hostel places, no on-campus accommodation can be provided for students taking Self-financed Taught programmes or Part-time programmes.

Please note that continuing students (extending beyond the normative period of study) are no longer eligible to apply for postgraduate halls, and are recommended to visit the webpage of Incoming Students Section, Office of Student Affairs for information regarding off-campus accommodation.

Application for Residence at the Postgraduate Halls 2016/17

Eligible postgraduate students can still tender their applications after the first round deadline on 29 April 2016 as application is accepted throughout the year. Application form can be downloaded at the homepage and download page of our webpage. Applicants should submit the completed application form with cheque/ cashier order of amount HK$2,000 payable to “The Chinese University of Hong Kong” and the supporting documents via registered post/ speed post to “General Office, Jockey Club Postgraduate Hall (PGH 1), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong” or to the PGH 1/ PGH 2/ PGH 4 Office by hand.

Due to insufficient hostel places, some on-time applicants who are not successful in lot drawing are put on the waiting list. All applicants submitted after the deadline 29 April 2016 will be defined as “Late Applications” and be put on the waiting list, too. Late applications will be processed later than the on-time applications. The waiting list is on numerical order of the student identity number but not on list of priority.

Should there be vacancies for the students on the waiting list, the PGH General Office will contact them individually through email. They should take their responsibilities to check their emails and update their email address to the PGH Office if there are any changes. When the cheques expired without any replacement, the application will be invalid. The applicants should check the expiry dates of their cheques.

All successful applicants have to commit to hostel accommodation by academic terms with an allowance to pay the hostel fee by monthly instalments. Residents have to pay the hostel fee until the end of the term even though they leave the hostel in the middle of the term. The academic year is divided into three terms: 1 August to 22 December 2016, 1 January to 31 May 2017, and 1 June to 18 July 2017. Only residents with special reasons such as graduation, internship, exchange and medical condition can apply for exemption from paying for the whole term.

Once the application has been confirmed successful by the Selection Board, the HK$2,000 application fee will ONLY be used to settle part of the first two months’ hostel fee and is NON-REFUNDABLE. Once registered and/ or obtained the hostel keys, the resident will be billed for the whole month’s rent, HK$3,500 deposit and HK$20 Residents’ Association fee.  

What's New:

Number of visitors since 1 February,2002: